Saturday, August 7, 2010

Check please?! I'm done with food issues.

A few weeks ago we had an appointment for Spencer to see an allergist.  Based on some reactions we knew he was allergic to a few foods and I just wanted to be sure there weren't others and to maybe get some medicine if necessary.  Boy did we end up with medicine.

He ended up having a slight allergy to wheat which the doctor said not to worry too much about.  He had a worse allergy to eggs, but since his only reaction was to straight eggs and not to eggs in baked goods, he said to just not give his straight eggs.  Goodbye quiche for dinner and scrambled eggs for everyone for breakfast, which means we have lost our one choice for everyone to eat the same thing for breakfast (except for cold cerea) so now we continue with everyone choosing their own breakfast.  Can I say CHAOS!!! 

This was all well and good and not too surprising, what was surprising was the results for peanuts.  Let's just say we now have an EpiPen.  All peanuts have been banned from our house (except for the ones I still have that we are trying to get through and wash our hands thoroughly and not touch anything).  We have to carry the EpiPen with us at all times.  The doctor said he may not need it if he has a reaction, but to be on the safe side we need it.    Oh, and here's something we didn't know, if he does need the EpiPen, we use it, call 911, wait for the ambulance, then he, most likely, gets to stay overnight at the hospital.


I haven't posted this sooner because I am still trying to get my head around it.  While I realize it could be worse and I am so grateful there is medicine that can save his life, I am also selfish and lazy and don't want to add something to the food ban list and have to ask restaurants if they use Peanut oil along with what has gluten.  Good bye 5 Guys burgers& fries that are gluten free, but the fries are fried in peanut oil.  Good-bye my favorite trail mix, Good Bye reeses peanut butter cups and shakes unless he isn't with us. 

Okay I am over it -- for now, later, who's to say.

5 comments:

Mel said...

The bck corner of your drawer has a place for Reese's Peanut butter cups I'm sure. And good thing you know how to cook.

Ryan and the Girls said...

Oh, My! I can't even imagine! Although, Natalie, you are amazing when it comes to "getting creative with cooking." Good Luck, oh, I have found that the back of my closet works great for hiding things, too!

Robin said...

I am only allergic to egg yolks. I just add the yolks to the scrambled eggs, and fry me up 2 egg whites. It really is much better than it sounds. Also, my mom is allergic to peanuts, but they just give her headaches. None of that other scarry stuff. Hopefully that is all that Spencer has (you know it runs in the family that way anyway)

Iowaspuds said...

So sorry Natalie. I can't imagine how bad itreally is. I admit that I would have a huge problem with the peanut thing. Good Luck!! I know youll make lemonade out of this sour lemon.

Erin said...

Uuurgh, for you from me. I am late on this one, but I feel for you just the same.
I was just thinking yesterday that we need to get together again sometime. You can vent if you need to.