Saturday, April 3, 2010

A day with nature

While I have to admit, I am not a big city person, a big city does have its advantages, like a great library (which I have taken a huge advantage of.  We got our cards the same day we signed our papers. Another is great recreation activities.  A couple of weeks ago we went to the Aquarium and the Botanical Gardens.  The aquarium wasn't anything to jump up and down about, however we did get to touch rays and small sharks.  The Gardens were amazing.  I can't wait to see them in full bloom.  The best part, you can get a yearly pass for a family to both of these and the zoo for about $90.  We are planning to go to the zoo soon.
We started at the aquarium.  As you walk in there is a huge tank with rays.  Andrew was a little nervous about them.  I personally found them facinating.


If you notice, Andrew's body looks like it is ready to run away at a moment's notice if necessary.

Spencer loved the large wall size tank.

Karissa and Andrew loved looking at the sharks -- as long as Andrew didn't have to stand too close to the glass.

I love this photo

After the aquarium was the botanical gardens just next door.

They had a wonderful children's maze where there were vegetables, tunnels, bugs and such built at huge proportions that you felt like you were in Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.  Needless to say, the kids loved it.

On a huge ant

Then running away from the huge ant.

Mom and Spencer in the huge carrot patch

Such a cute girl

and so goofy at the same time

Another cute and goofy girl.

I know, you are wondering, why a picture of a duck.  While this is a beautiful duck, I have decided that Brandon must LOVE ducks, because I can't tell you how many photos he has taken of ducks over the years.  So I am including a duck he photographed.

Andrew in the Southwest garden being "careful" not to touch a prickly pear.

Such a fun day.  To top it off, we ended it with a downpour and had to run for the van.  It was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

sallyavena said...

Sounds like you are settling in. How fun! While I'm not a big city girl either, I'll take a great city with a great library and fun things to do any day.

Mel said...

Looks like fun. That part of a big city is really nice. And the season pass would be awesome.