Thursday, September 11, 2008

Karissa's 8

Karissa's 8

Karissa is officially 8!! I can't hardly believe it. As most of you know, her birthday is September 11th. She turned one on that fateful day, and it was such a bittersweet moment for me. The first birthday of our first child, we were ready to celebrate; then, the most tragic of tragedies and all I wanted to do was cry. That day is so vivid in my mind I think because of the juxtaposition of the two events. Each September 11 has been a little bit that way for me. Over the years I have watched an awareness grow in her of what happened that fateful day and about a year ago she began the questions of "why." I have always said I would answer all her questions and now came one that I didn't want to answer. How do you explain to a child that their birthday is also an anniversary of when evil men did such evil things and killed so many people. I don't want her to know the evil of the world. Yet, I want her to understand how truly blessed she is and how she needs to work hard to make the right choices and bless others lives and not hurt them. And sadly, to truly understand our blessings we must understand the opposite can be true as well. Anyway, she now knows, but I don't know that she fully comprehends. But then again, I don't know that I do.

No comments: