Monday, November 9, 2009

The Piano (Before & After

If you remember, last February Brandon started refinishing our piano.  It was his great grandmother's and this was its 100th birthday (as we found when we took it apart).  The sound of the piano was wonderful, but the appearance, less than.



 

Many keys had ivory that had come off and the finish had lots of issues, not the least of which was the discoloration.  Luckily, we had most of the ivory for the keys and a friend that tunes pianos had some that he gave us for the 5 keys that were missing ivory.  Since I was pregnant I got relegated to the role of fixing the keys (repainting the black and applying the ivory to the white keys), Brandon did the rest of it.  After taking it as far apart as possible and refinishing the pieces downstairs, he then got to do the body in the LR on top of some plastic.  He sanded it under a plastic tent (I wish I had thought to take a photo) and then did the rest.



It took him all February to do the main part and then life got in the way and the bench didn't get finished until a couple of weeks ago.  And now we have an amazing, beautiful, practically new (apparently no one really ever played it) piano. 

Now just to tune it!

6 comments:

sallyavena said...

Stunning! Brandon did good work! Any news on the job front?

Stephanie said...

Beautiful!! Almost as beautiful as mine. :)

Natalie said...

We should know something by the end of Nov

Mel said...

Looks awesome. Good job Brandon

vfg said...

so pretty.

I'm just going to paint ours; lots of peeling veneer that I think I'll just plaster. A $55 school auction baby, not such a good heirloom.

I have heard it hurts the tone, but we can't tell anyway, and I want myself a red piano.

Well done, Brandon!
Well done, Natalie, for catching yerself a man who will do that!

Pearson Family said...

It's beautiful.