Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pysanky

One of my favorite things to do is Pysanky or Ukrainian Egg Decorating using a wax resist method. I am going to post more on the "how-to's" on my Creating from Scratch blog in the next few days. But I wanted to post some of the ones I have done. The one above I actually did last year and really love. One of my new favorite tricks is to "etch" the egg with vinegar which gives it the texture. My friend Valerie invited me to learn with her a few years ago and along with many other crafts I found it suited me well. I tend to use others work as inspiration but there is something about sitting next to a fire (candle) and drawing simple drawings and creating something beautiful. Every time I remove the wax and am surprised that I could do that. Anyway, here are some I have done this year.


I love making the more organic designs where I just draw with the wax whatever comes to mind. This was one of those designs.















This was an egg I did using someone else's design as inspiration. I am not so in love with the colors I ended
up with, but the design is good. I think I am going to redo it in new colors.






I think this is my favorite egg this year. Blue is my favorite color and I love the simpleness of the colors here.






This is a more traditional design, although not necessarily traditional colors. The one on the left is before I varnished it. The one on the right is after. Such a difference.

3 comments:

vfg said...

Mmmm, yes, love the top egg especially! I'll have to try etching. It looks gilded.

sallyavena said...

Simply beautiful! I love the top one two.

JNL said...

Wow Natalie!! You are so talented-glad to see that you are still doing crafts and quilts. I loved looking at the pics of your family-amazing how time has gone by. So glad I found you on facebook-congrats on baby #4!!