Tuesday, June 23, 2009

He's Here! Though not the way we expected...

Yesterday morning we called the Hospital at 6:30 am to find out when they wanted us to come in to be induced. They told us 7:30 so we got up, got ready and left. Unfortunately, they didn't get me going on the "pit" until 9:30/10:00 because several women came in at once in labor. Oh, well. Off we went.
What I looked like "before"

By 4:00 I had dialated to only a 4 from the "3" I started at in the morning and the "pit" was as high as they could go without a doctor's permission. And while I had hoped not to have my water broken, we had no choice. Apparently, I have slow labor even when being induced. Once my water was broken the nurse went to put a monitor next to the baby to get an accurate reading on my contractions and suddenly everything changed. She yelled "cord" and my room filled with nurses. Apparently I had a prolapesed umbilical cord meaning the cord slipped under the baby when my water drained and was being pinched. The baby's heartrate was fine but I was now getting an emergency C-section. My nurse held the baby off the cord while the others called doctors, anethesiologists, baby nurses, etc, unplugged cords, got me laid down and wheeled to the operating room where I was very quickly put to sleep. During the process they were great about keeping me up to date on how the baby was and he was never in distress and I felt calm the whole time. My only worry was Brandon out in the hall not knowing what was happening. Once they had made the incision they let him in and he got to see the baby right after he was born. He also got to see me with my innerds outside my body. I can only imagine how that was and am glad it was him, not me to see that. He had a real hard time with the whole situation, understandably, but he was okay, once he saw the baby and I were okay.

Here he is holding the baby.

Only after I woke up from the anethesia and had recovered did we finally settle on a first name, "Spencer." Only today did we come up with a full name "Spencer Christian Eames." He was 8 lbs 7 oz and 21" long. The second smallest weight wise after Karissa and the second longest after Alexis.
Here are the kids right after seeing him.

Brandon and I with Spencer later in the evening.

He already needs a haircut.

And while this wasn't the funnest experience we are so greatful it is over. Even more so, we are so grateful for modern medicine and for a nurse that felt that I needed to have a monitor so that she found the cord so quickly and everything is well. I am doing well and will be up and around before too long.

20 comments:

Mel said...

What a handsome little guy! I'm glad everything turned out so well. We can't wait to meet him.

Dave and Suzie said...

Congrats! Karissa was sure excited when she came over to tell us. I am sorry about the c-section, but glad everything worked out. He is beautiful!!!

Yvonne Curry said...

Congratulations! He's a cutie. I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Von

sallyavena said...

Congratulations! What a cute guy with a great name!

Robin said...

Congratulaitons! I'm glad everything tuned out well. Hopefully, we'll see you all soon.

Cynthia said...

Congratulations! Love the name:) So glad that you are doing well. Remember, you just had major surgery and take it easy!!

Meg said...

I am so glad all is well. Congrats.

amd said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is sure adorable. I am glad everything went well for you and baby Spencer. Now you guys have 2 boys and 2 girls.

vfg said...

Congratulations. What a sweet bunch of excited siblings!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you are feeling okay after that whole ordeal. Man, what a relief to get him here and have both him and you doing well.

Cindy said...

He is a beautiful baby. I am so excited for your family!

The Mom @ Babes in Hairland said...

Congratulations you guys. He's beautiful. I can totally relate with the emergency c-section stuff -- happened when we had Hailey. Not fun. Hope your recovery is better than mine was though. Love all the pictures.

Meagan said...

Oh my goodness he is so cute! You and Brandon have done so well. Seeing the picture with all your kids and how cute and happy they are makes me want to cry.....and I'm not usually such a bawl baby. Love the name! You look fabulous as well...although I'm not surprised. I told Brett the other day you are a classic beauty. Congratulations!

Lynnette said...

He's beautiful! Hope you're feeling OK. I'm with you in being thankful for alert,talented people in labor and delivery. Love the first picture with all the smiling siblings!

Pearl Girl said...

yay good job, I love how you have cute chubby babies, it makes me a little jealous.

Lindasue said...

Natalie & Brandon,
I'm so glad you are all doing well. Had a similar experience with my first- not what you expecet or hope for, but more importantly Mom and baby are well. He's such a cutie! We will be checking in with you to see how you are doing. Congratulations!

Iowaspuds said...

Congratulations!! C-Sections have a good and bad side. Mine wasn't emergency, but not planned either. I'm glad all is well and you're both healthy. He's a handsome little guy. Take it easy, don't try to be super mom right away.

Brian and Kristy said...

He sure is cute! I like the name too. I'm sorry you had to have a c-section but I'm glad everything went well. I hope you are feeling ok and I can't wait to meet the little guy!

Ryan and the Girls said...

Congratulations! He is a doll. I am glad everything worked out!

Ryan and the Girls said...

Congrats Eames family. What a great story. So glad everything turned out great. Even the name right at the end. Let us know if you need any thing. Looks like you have a lot of family around. That's a great help.

Ryan